It is best to walk with a group of friends or an adult.
Remember these tips:
- Walk with a friend/adult when possible.
- Ask your parents/other adults to help you pick a safe route; one that avoids dangers and is well lit.
- Stick to the route you picked with your parents/adults. Don’t let friends talk you into shortcuts that are more dangerous, such as dark alleyways or paths.
- Behave sensibly around traffic and other pedestrians.
- Never hitchhike or take lifts from people not arranged by your parents.
- Talk to your parents and school about any bullying or other incidents that may happen during your walk.
- Don’t walk with your headphones in/on and keep your phone out of sight.
Remember, drivers may not be able to see you well. Always wear bright-colored clothes and if it is dark or hard to see, use a torch or wear reflective clothing.
Look for traffic
Watch out for cars and lorries at every driveway and junction on your walk. Look for drivers in parked cars, they may be getting ready to move.
- Cross the street safely
- Stop at the kerb or edge of the street.
- Look left, right, left and behind you and in front of you for traffic.
- Wait until no traffic is coming and begin crossing.
- Keep looking for traffic until you have finished crossing.
- Walk, don’t run across the street.
- Obey traffic signs and use crossings where available.
INSET DAY - School closed to students
September 4, 2017
HALF TERM 1 STARTS
September 5, 2017
September 11, 2017 - September 15, 2017