Curriculum | Music
Performing Arts at Levenshulme High School unlocks the use of imagination, intellect, empathy and courage. The Music Department believes that everyone should have access to playing and appreciating many different types of music and should have the opportunity to develop and showcase their skills as often as possible.
- Year 7 – 5 periods as part of the ‘Dream Day’ curriculum
- Year 8 – 1 period of Drama or Music on half termly rotation
- Year 9 – 1 period of Drama or Music
Options offered at the end of Year 9:
- GCSE Music (AQA)
In year 7, pupils follow the Dream Day curriculum. This allows them to explore a full day’s learning within each Expressive Arts area (Drama, Music, Art and EPR) every half term. Topics include: Introduction to the Elements of Music, Different types of instruments, Eras and Composers, Descriptive Music, Reading notation and performing, Singing and Musical Genres.
Pupils continue to focus on performing, listening and composing and learn the vocal and instrumental skills to be able to showcase this. Students study a combination of singing, playing instruments, learning how to read music, exploring music from different eras and cultures and creating their own music in groups. Topics include: Pop Music, Musical Theatre and Singing.
In Year 9, students begin learning the skills and knowledge for the GCSE course. Topics include: Film and Descriptive Music, Reading notation and studying musical features, Dance Music, Music Technology and Blues.
Options offered at the end of Year 9
|At Levenshulme we offer GCSE Music for musicians at KS4.|
|Exam Board: Eduqas|
|No. of Controlled Assessments: 4 (60%)|
|No. of Exams: 1 exam (40%)|
|Performing (30%) 2 performances, 1 solo and 1 ensemble.|
|Composing (30%) 2 compositions, 1 based on a composition brief and 1 can be anything you like; a free composition.|
- Area of Study 1: Forms and Devices Includes study of the Minuet and Trio movement from Mozart’s ‘Eine Kleine Nachtmusik’ as a set work for his unit
- Area of Study 2: Music for Ensemble – Area of Study 3: Film Music Your study pieces will be Santana’s ‘Smooth’, ‘Migra’ and ‘Love of My Life’ from the album Supernatural.
- Area of Study 4: Popular Music You will study ‘Since You’ve Been Gone’ by Rainbow as a set work for this unit.
- Listening Exam – A listening and written exam based on Areas of Study 1-4 and set works
Units studied in year 10
Performance and ensemble skills – individual rehearsal on student’s main instruments or voice and band practice.
Areas of Study 1-2 are studied – Forms and Devices and Musical Ensembles
Units studied in year 11
Performance and ensemble skills – students rehearse and perform on their main instruments or voice and practice as a band to improve ensemble awareness.
Areas of Study 1-4 are studied
Levenshulme High School
Academy / Executive Headteacher: Dr J. MacKinnon PhD
0161 224 4625
0161 256 1170
Get in Touch
Please direct all queries in the first instance to Mrs Tebb